Does Seeing One Cockroach In My Katy Home Mean An Infestation?
Cockroaches are bugs that none of us want in our homes. For many people, seeing one cockroach is enough to send them into a panic. This is understandable, given the fact that cockroaches breed quickly, carry all sorts of harmful pathogens, and are notoriously hard to get rid of. Given the abundance of cockroaches in Texas, you may wonder: Does seeing one cockroach in my Katy home mean that I have an infestation? The short answer is no, but don’t get too excited yet. Seeing one cockroach in your Katy home is likely to mean there are many more, and even if there aren’t, you’ll want to address the situation before it gets out of hand.
First, we all need to know about the various species of cockroaches found in Texas. Here in Katy, the most common roach is the American cockroach, which is reddish-brown and about a half-inch long. Other popular cockroaches in Texas include the Oriental cockroach, the Cuban cockroach, and the wood cockroach. German cockroaches and brown-banded cockroaches are also found in and around Katy. All of these cockroaches can find their way into your Katy home, so dealing with them even when you spot only one is important. Let’s take a closer look at the problems associated with cockroaches.
How Dangerous Are Cockroaches?
Yes, cockroaches are dangerous. They will crawl around in sewers, trash, bird feces, and anywhere else they can find something to eat. Cockroaches pick up many dangerous diseases with the foods they consume. Many of these diseases can be transmitted to people through their fecal matter and urine they leave throughout your home.
Cockroaches can easily contaminate your food as well. Some of the diseases cockroaches have been known to spread include salmonellosis, typhoid, poliomyelitis, and dysentery. Furthermore, the skin they shed as they develop can cause issues with people who have allergies. Let’s face it, cockroaches are nasty bugs, and you don’t want them around.
How To Prevent Cockroaches From Entering Your Katy Home
The good news is there are some things you can do to prevent cockroaches from getting into your Katy home. Here are some measures you can take to keep cockroaches away:
- Keep your home clean. While cockroaches can be found in clean homes, there are many things about dirty homes that are attractive to cockroaches. Keep counters and floors clean.
- Even a few crumbs of food can attract cockroaches and other unwanted pests. Don’t leave old papers, cardboard boxes, and damp materials lying around that can attract them. Keep the outside of your home clean too. Seal trash containers and keep them a few feet away from your home.
- Eliminate water sources. Leaking pipes, clogged drains, and standing water can easily attract cockroaches into the home. Like other unwanted pests, cockroaches are constantly looking for food, water, and shelter.
- Inspect your home for entry points. Seal around the foundation of your home, eliminate gaps in doorways, and fix screens. Cockroaches can get in through the tiniest of openings. Be vigilant and eliminate these entry points into your home.
- Be careful about what you bring home. This is important. Cockroaches can be brought into your home when you buy used appliances, clothing, or cardboard boxes containing anything.
- Cockroaches will hitch a ride into your home and begin breeding in their new location. Bringing cockroaches into your clean home will soon have you dealing with an infestation.
DIY methods won't work. When you suspect you have a problem with cockroaches in your Katy home, contact pest control experts immediately. Cockroaches are difficult to get rid of using over the counter products, baits, and traps. These methods are only marginally effective at best. Furthermore, misuse of hazardous chemicals can be harmful to your health, the health of your family members, and the health of your pets.
Modern Pest Control In Katy, Texas
Do you have a cockroach infestation in your Katy home? Are you worried about cockroaches moving in? Fortunately, the experts at Modern Pest can help. Our licensed pest control technicians use effective methods to eliminate cockroaches from your home. We offer customer service that goes above and beyond to ensure our customers are satisfied with the results. Don’t let cockroaches run you out of your Katy home; reach out to us today so that you can rest easy knowing that your home is free of unwanted cockroaches.