How Sugar Land Residents Can Protect Themselves This Termite Season
Keeping pests away from your Sugar Land home will not only protect your home but the people and pets living and visiting there as well. There are some pests that are not much to worry about and are merely a nuisance, but many other pests can do serious damage to your home.
Termites are undoubtedly the most damaging to the structure of your home and the damages they cause can be very costly to repair. These wood-destroying pests can do a lot of damage to your home in a short period of time without you even noticing.
It is very important for homeowners to be able to identify a termite infestation. Here are a few signs you should be keeping an eye out for:
- If you experienced “swarming” of winged termites in or near your home in the spring, you will know that an infestation is imminent. This would be a really good time to call on the help of a professional pest control service in your area.
- Look out for mud tubes — mud tubes are exactly what their name indicates, narrow tubes that are built out of mud which termites use in order to travel to and from their food source without having to come into contact with the sun or air. These tubes can maintain moisture and will run along foundations or up basement walls.
- Watch for warping in walls, ceilings, and floors, as well as damaged furniture or other personal belongings.
- Wood that looks weathered or splintered may have also been affected by termite damage; look for feces, debris, and mud inside the wood — these signs indicate a termite infestation.
- Tap on support beams and other wood sources. If they sound hollow, that may be an indication that termites may have already caused significant damage in your home.
It is important to understand that termites live in colonies and that within each of those colonies, there can be thousands of members! The workers will feed all day and all night on wood products in order to feed the colonies and be able to reproduce. One of the most important steps you can take to protect your home from termites is to seal off all entry points they could use to gain access to your home, including the smallest of cracks and crevices. Keeping your yard and property free of rotten or fallen trees, debris piles, and tree stumps which may attract termites to your home can also help in preventing a termite invasion.
Sugar Land, TX Pest Control
The best way to prevent termites is by being proactive and enlisting the help of a professional pest control company before termites invade. However, if you have an active infestation currently, give the professionals at Modern Pest Control a call. We can eliminate termites in every stage of development, right down to the queens! We can also help you put a solution in place to prevent them from coming back year after year. Implementing a termite control program is the most important step in protecting against these damaging pests. Give us a call today to learn more about our termite control programs or our other residential pest control options.