September 07, 2018
It happens every autumn: the leaves turn from green to varying shades of red, yellow, and orange, flip-flops give way to boots, and everything becomes pumpkin spice scented or flavored! However, just because fall has arrived in Cypress doesn’t mean that the weather will get cool enough to drive away the nuisance pests that have plagued us all summer long.
In fact, the weather in Cypress remains warm for much of the fall season, allowing these bugs to remain active all throughout September and even into October! And though some of these bugs are just harmless nuisance pests, some of them are quite the opposite. Wood-destroying pests such as termites and carpenter ants can severely damage your home, causing costly and dangerous damage to the structural integrity of your house. And if that wasn’t bad enough, these pests can remain active all year round!
While carpenter ants don’t pose all the same threats that termites do, they are still not a pest you want to ignore. However, it can be quite difficult to tell the difference between a carpenter ant and a termite. Some of the differences and similarities between carpenter ants and termites include:
- Carpenter ants have sectioned bodies while termites have only one body section.
- Both have two sets of thin wings, but the bottom wings of a carpenter ant are shorter than it’s top pair while the wings of a termite are all the same length.
- Carpenter ant antennae are bent while termite antennae are straight.
- Both prefer moist, humid environments.
- Carpenter ants do not eat wood while termites do.
- Both leave small piles of what looks like sawdust outside of their holes.
Though they have their differences, carpenter ants can cause just as much damage as termites and it’s important to work just as hard to prevent them as you would to prevent termites. As is the case with termites, oftentimes by the time you realize you have a carpenter ant problem, it’s so extensive that you may already have a lot of damages that need to be repaired. So ideally, your best line of defense against carpenter ants is to prevent them. You can help accomplish this by:
- Reducing areas of excessive moisture outside your home. Clean gutters, direct water away from your house, and create good drainage systems.
- Fix any leaks inside and outside your home immediately, even the tiny ones, and repair any damage caused by those leaks.
- Keep your lawn and the area surrounding your home free of debris, including leaves, branches, and wood piles.
- Keep outdoor garbage cans tightly covered.
- Don’t leave food out on your counters and clean up any spills and food messes immediately.
- Seal any cracks, holes, and crevices found around your house’s foundation, walls, windows, and doors.
Although these DIY prevention tips are a great place to start, carpenter ants are tricky pests to prevent on your own and are almost impossible to eliminate without professional help if you are already dealing with an infestation. If you are dealing with carpenter ant problems in your home, your best bet at eliminating them is to bring the professional pest control experts from Modern Pest Control on board!
At Modern Pest Control, we have a five-step process for getting rid of ants that we will customize for your particular needs. Our professionals will inspect your home and property, determine small changes you can make that will help, customize a treatment plan, implement that plan, and follow-up to make sure it was effective!
Don’t leave your Cypress home’s structural integrity to chance! Call Modern Pest Control to take a stand against carpenter ants and give yourself the peace of mind you need!