Help Me Keep Ants Out Of My Woodlands Home
Woodlands, Texas, was founded in 1974 and is only 28 miles north of downtown Houston. While it has gorgeous woods for walking enthusiasts, it also has a culture that rivals some of the most exciting big cities. It is a fabulous place to live and visit with extensive city amenities and venues. Nestled within these famous woods are various local ants that often take advantage of Woodlands “inviting” atmosphere by marching right into homes. Learn more about pest control in Woodlands for ants in this guide.
How To Identify The Type Of Ant Infesting Your Woodlands Home
Let’s face it, ants are everywhere, and ant treatments are often necessary. Multiple varieties of ants live in Woodlands and often find their way into homes in the area.
Three common ants in Woodlands are as follows:
- Carpenter ants: This destructive ant measures from ½ to 5/8 inches long. Their coloration can range from black, red, brown, or a combination of red and black. Carpenter ants in Woodlands have oval bodies that are segmented (with a pinched waist) and have six legs and antennae.
- Tawny crazy ants: Often measuring 1/16 to 1/8 inches long, they range from black (with a gray sheen) to dark brown. They also have an oval, segmented body and have six legs and antennae.
- Fire ants: This dangerous ant is about 1/8 to 3/8 inches long. They are typically a reddish-brown color. They have an oval, segmented body with six legs and antennae.
The Problems Ants Can Cause On Your Woodlands
Some ant species cause significant destruction to homes, others pose dangers to animals and people, and others are just a plain nuisance. Since different species cause different issues, homeowners should be aware of the problems they bring.
Problems caused by local ants include:
Carpenter ants: These ants are destructive. Carpenter ants in Woodlands excavate moist or decaying wood (even good wood) to establish nests. Over time, this “boring” activity can weaken structures and support beams; they can also warp wood around windows and door frames.
Tawny crazy ants: These ants get their name from their erratic and jerky movements. While they do not pose a health risk to homeowners, they are a nuisance when they enter dwellings to find food and moisture.
Fire ants: This variety is dangerous and inflicts nasty stings when their nest is disturbed. When fire ants attack, they usually inflict multiple stings, and people with allergies can have severe reactions to these bites.
How To Get Rid Of Ants In Woodlands & Keep Them Away
The best way to get rid of ants and keep them away is with help from the pest professionals at Modern Pest Control. We help keep pests away all year long with our service packages. Our ant control solutions deliver prompt, personalized ant treatments to our customers. Put our 65+ years of experience to the test and call Modern Pest Control today for a free inspection.
Natural Ant Prevention Tips For Woodlands Properties
Ants do not need a lot of encouragement to visit. Their constant explorations for moisture and food will often lead them to Woodlands homes. Some believe the best way to get rid of ants is by using natural ant control solutions to deter these elusive pests. Natural remedies carry no guarantee and require frequent reapplication; while the treatments may be “natural,” they can still be harmful to pets and children.
Six natural prevention methods that claim to be effective are as follows:
- Vinegar/water solution (50/50)
- Borax with syrup/jelly
- Essential oils (peppermint, eucalyptus, cinnamon, citrus)
- Herbs (cinnamon, mint, cloves, garlic, chili/black pepper)
- Coffee grounds (in gardens/around foundations
- Citrus peels/cucumbers
Discover more about ant control by calling us today.