How Much Do You Really Know About Millipedes In Houston?
If you’re a home or business owner in Houston, there are many pests that you might encounter. While some of these pests are a big problem as they pose health risks or cause property damage, others are mostly just a nuisance. However, even mostly harmless pests can be annoying to deal with and gross to have around.
One of the strangest looking nuisance pest is the millipede. This insect looks extremely creepy because they look like a worm with a multitude of legs. Many people associated millipedes with having thousands of legs. While they do have many legs, they only have about 30 to 90 pairs.
Millipedes are mostly considered nuisance pests, and they are often confused with centipedes. Here is a description of millipedes to help you tell the difference:
- Millipedes have two pairs of legs per body segment while centipedes only have one pair per segment.
- They are usually red, brown, or black in color.
- They have small antennae.
- Their bodies are long and cylindrical.
- They have legs that are tucked under their bodies as opposed to centipedes whose legs stick out.
Are Millipedes Dangerous?
While some pests are dangerous, such as mosquitoes or rodents, there are some pests that people aren’t so sure about. Millipedes are considered nuisance pests because they don’t pose any harm to humans or pets, and they also don’t pose any risk of property damage.
Overall, the main concern with millipedes is that they are gross to look at and make your home feel unclean. There are some species of millipedes that let out a foul odor, but this isn’t usually a problem. In rare cases, skin contact with a millipede can cause a rash. Outdoors, millipedes help break down decaying plants, but indoors they don’t have any benefits.
Ways To Prevent Millipedes
While millipedes might not pose any risks to you or your pets, this doesn’t mean you want to have them inside. Fortunately, there are some things you can do to help prevent them. While prevention methods aren’t completely effective, they can reduce the risk of these pests getting inside. The key to keeping millipedes away is reducing moisture.
Here are some millipede prevention tips:
- Fix leaky pipes and faucets.
- Use a dehumidifier, this will help reduce moisture.
- Remove debris in your yard like leaf piles and firewood. Millipedes love to hide underneath these things.
- Keep plant matter and firewood away from the outside of your home.
Getting Help With Millipede Problems
If you’re dealing with millipedes in your Houston home and can’t figure out the best way to prevent or get rid of them, contact the professionals at Modern Pest Control. With over 60 years of experience, we can help you with millipedes or any other pest problems in or around your Houston property.