March 13, 2019
The weather is heating up, and that means that pests are coming out in full force again in Sugarland. If keeping your Sugarland home cockroach-free in 2019 is a priority for you this year, read on.
When are cockroaches active?
When you live in an area with mild winters like ours, you never truly get a break from the threat of a cockroach infestation. Cockroaches
prefer temperatures over 70 degrees, but even when the weather gets a bit cooler, they can survive for some time. However, they thrive in the hot weather that spring, summer, and fall in Sugarland provides.
What brings cockroaches inside?
Cockroaches are attracted to a couple of things that may bring them inside your home.
- They’re always looking for a good food source, so if your kitchen tends to always have food out on the counters, dirty dishes in the sink, or an overflowing garbage can, cockroaches will think it’s a good place to hang out.
- Cockroaches also need moisture. This need can draw them inside in two ways. First, if you have a leaky faucet or pipe somewhere in your house, they’ll find it and enjoy the damp environment it provides. Second, if there’s a hot, dry spell, they may come inside looking for a humid environment.
How to Prevent Cockroaches from Getting Inside Your Sugarland Home
Knowing what attracts cockroaches to your home will help you to prevent them from getting into your home:
- Don’t leave food out. If it doesn’t go in the refrigerator, put it in airtight containers, including the food in your pantry.
- Clean dirty dishes right away, or put them in the dishwasher.
- Wipe down counters and sweep your floors after eating or meal prep to cut down on crumbs or other bits of food that may have been left behind.
- Take out the trash on a regular basis.
- Outside, make sure garbage is stored in bins with tightly fitting containers.
- Check for dripping faucets and leaky pipes all around your home, inside and out. If you find any that need repair, fix them immediately and replace any wood that has been water-damaged.
- Keep the rooms in your house well-ventilated. Use fans or a dehumidifier in high-moisture areas, such as bathrooms.
What to Do if Cockroaches Get Inside
Sometimes, despite our best efforts, cockroaches get inside anyway
. If this happens to you, the best course of action is to call a professional pest control company like Modern Pest Control. Cockroaches are notoriously difficult to get rid of and, even if you’re partially successful through the use of DIY methods, there’s a good chance you’ll end up with a recurring cockroach problem.
Modern Pest Control technicians have been trained to understand the habits of cockroaches. We have both the knowledge and the tools necessary to completely eliminate your cockroach infestation
so that you can be confident that cockroaches will not return. Contact us for more information!