Three Easy & Effective Ant Control Tips For Houston Homeowners
Houston has several different types of ants. They can all create problems when they enter a house. Some of them can cause such bad allergy attacks that a person can die. The most important ants are:
- Red Imported Fire Ants (Solenopsis invicta) are reddish-brown and are between 1/16th to 3/16th of an inch long. These ants have potent stings that some people are violently allergic to, so much that they can die. Small children and the elderly sometimes encounter a nest and if they cannot move promptly, will get stung to death. Fire ants will sometimes enter a home in search of food and water and are hard to get rid of.
- Carpenter ants (Campanotus species) are 1/4th to 1/2 of an inch long. They do not sting but can bite. These ants are solid black, solid brown, or black and orange. They eat wood and do nest in people’s houses, much like termites.
- Acrobat ants (Crematogaster species) look similar to carpenter ants but are active in the day. They will build a nest in the walls if they get in. When threatened, they raise their abdomens in the air like an acrobat doing a headstand. They search for protein and sugar and can bite if threatened.
- Pharaoh ants (Monomorium pharaonis) are tiny (1/32nd of an inch long) and pale yellow with a darker tip on the abdomen. They like to nest in cardboard boxes, electrical boxes, and in other small dark areas. They prefer foods high in protein or sugar.
- Crazy ants (Paratrechina and Nylanderia species) are dark brown or red. They are 1/8th of an inch in length and you never see just one. They like to come inside to find food or shelter when it is cold. They can infest electrical boxes and anything with electrical wires. Because they travel in such large numbers, they can cause the electric spaces they invade to break. These ants will also nest in potted plants indoors.
- Rover ants (Brachymyrmex patagonicus) are tiny ants that are about the size of pharaoh ants. They are stockier and darker in color. They will come inside after sugary foods.
Prevention Is Crucial
Once established, ants are very difficult to get rid of. Ant prevention is much better and easier than ant eviction. Ants are attracted to food, especially sugary foods and sources of protein. They need water, too. Finally, they need shelter, especially in really hot or really cold weather. Here are three tips to keep ants outside where they belong.
Get out the caulking gun. Seal all cracks and crevasses with caulk. Seal the openings around pipes, electrical wires, and cables, too. If ants cannot enter, they are not a problem.
Clean up food spills quickly to avoid feeding ants. Put your food in plastic or metal containers so ants can’t get into them. Without food, ants will move elsewhere.
Stop leaks and fix moist spots. Ants need water to live and are attracted to leaky faucets, moist spots, and other sources found in homes.
Get The Professionals On The Problem
Ants are dangerous and difficult to eliminate from houses. Get Modern Pest Control to eliminate them for you. When you contact us, we will send out a trained professional to do a free inspection of your house, inside and out. We will discuss our findings with you and also come up with a plan of action. Once the ants are gone, we will come out quarterly to make sure they stay gone. We guarantee our work, so if ants come back between service appointments, we will come out and get rid of them free of charge. Call Modern Pest Control today at (281) 783-3089 today and schedule your free inspection to get the ball rolling and let us get rid of your ants.