When you flick the light on and see a big, rusty brown cockroach sitting next to the switch, it can jump you out of your skin. If you open the pantry door and see several tan roaches disappear behind the packages on your shelf, it can creep you out. Just the sound of a cockroach skittering across a kitchen floor in the middle of the night is enough to disturb most people. Cockroaches are disturbing. So why do some of us let them live in our Houston homes? Let's take a look at the problem.
4 Reasons You Might Let Roaches Stay in Your Home
- Bugs are no big deal. The world is full of bugs. What can you do about them?
- Cockroaches will go away if I just keep my home clean.
- That's it, I'm going to spray these cockroaches out of existence!
- Money is limited. Are professional cockroach treatments worth it?
Are cockroaches no big deal?
If you think cockroaches are only gross to look at, you couldn't be more wrong. They climb around in trash bins, walk on compost piles, feed on feces, and live in sewers. Cockroaches are the sanitation engineers of the animal kingdom. They feed on decaying organic material and excrete dropping that return nitrogen to the soil. While they play an important role in nature, these traits make them very dirty bugs in an urban landscape. Studies have shown that cockroaches spread more than 33 kinds of bacteria, at least 7 human pathogens, and 6 distinct parasitic worms. Beyond this, in urban areas, cockroach infestations aggravate asthma symptoms and increase hospitalization rates. Trust us when we say, you don't want these dirty insects in your Houston home.
Can you clean your home enough to get rid of cockroaches?
Despite what you may have heard, cockroaches can live in your home no matter how clean it is. Cockroaches don't just eat the crumbs under your toaster, grime on the side of your oven, leftovers on dishes next to the sink, and other human foods. They eat things you would not consider to be food, such as wallpaper paste, toothpaste, glue, cat droppings in the litter box, and more. While sanitation is certainly important in the control of cockroaches, it must be combined with other methods to get control of cockroaches. This type of cockroach control requires experience and training.
Can you get rid of cockroaches with over-the-counter Insecticides?
You may find this more disturbing than the cockroaches. If you attempt to kill roaches with insecticides, you may create super roaches. Cockroaches have the ability to generate a new cuticle (skin) that is resistant to harmful chemicals found in their environment. For this reason, it can actually be hazardous to spray your home to get rid of cockroaches. The insects could pick that harmful material up and carry it into your dish cabinets, silverware drawer, and food-storage shelves.
Is professional cockroach control worth it?
A licensed and certified pest control professional uses field-tested products and methods to systematically eliminate cockroaches with as little pest control product as possible. The question is how do you find a pest control professional that can get the job done right and give you the most value for your hard-earned money? We believe the team at Modern Pest Control can do just that. Here's why you can trust Modern Pest Control:
- Our management staff is trained by the Food Industry Sanitation Auditors (FISA) and the American Institute of Baking (AIB). These are the highest standards of training in the industry.
- Our team has earned the QualityPro seal of excellence from the National Pest Management Association.
- Only 3% of pest control companies in the United States have earned this distinction, it is awarded to companies that show an excellence in business practices, environmental stewardship, consumer relations, and employee training.
- We've been providing high-quality pest control since 1952. We've worked out the bugs in our business and in the businesses and residences we protect.
- We use Integrated Pest Management to provide the most eco-friendly pest solution possible.
Cockroaches are disturbing insects but they're not just disturbing; they are strongly connected to illness. Don't let roaches live in your Houston-area home. Get control of cockroaches with help from the experts at Modern Pest Control. Reach out to us today and request a free pest inspection to get started. We are standing by to help.