What Houston Pest Experts Want You To Know About Ant Control
While there are many pests that you might encounter in your Houston home or business, ants are some of the most common. Ants are pests that can easily get inside because they're so small, and while they might not seem like a big deal at first, they can quickly overwhelm an area, and getting rid of them can be difficult.
Most species of ants are considered nuisance pests as they don’t pose significant health risks or do property damage, but there are certain species that can be dangerous and damaging. For example, carpenter ants can destroy property in a way similar to termites as they tunnel through wood to make their nests. But even harmless ant species can invade in large numbers, so prevention methods are essential. While you might already have an idea of what ants look like, and each species looks different, here is a general overview of what they look like:
- They are skinny.
- They have three body sections: head, thorax, and gaster.
- They have two antennae and six legs.
- They have a small node that attaches their thorax and taste.
What Attracts Ants To Your Home?
There are many things that can make your home attractive to ants, but the main reasons they will want to come inside are because they are looking for food and water. They are usually attracted to areas that are damp such as kitchens or bathrooms, and they also will find areas that are sweet or sugary leading them to your kitchen and food sources. They can even be attracted to the smell of pet food.
Since ants can become a big problem, it’s important to try to prevent them before they ever come inside. Here are some things you can do to make your home less attractive to ants:
- Store pet food properly.
- Keep outdoor garbage cans covered.
- Always clean up food spills and crumbs right away.
- Reduce moisture in your house by repairing leaky faucets and pipes.
- Clean up debris on your property such as leaf and grass piles.
How To Keep Ants Out
The other concern when it comes to ant prevention is making sure that ants can’t get inside in the first place. There are some things you can do to help keep them from getting indoors, but it can be difficult because ants are so small. Here are some tips to help seal off entry points:
- Check screens in doors and windows and repair holes or tears.
- Keep screens placed over vents.
- Make sure there are no cracks around doors or windows.
- Get professional pest control to help with prevention.
Protect Your Property From Ants
Ants can quickly become a problem that gets out of control, so the best way to address ant issues is to contact the professionals at Modern Pest Control. We can help you with prevention assistance, and we can also eliminate ant infestations in a safe and effective manner. If you need help with ant problems in your Houston home, give us a call today. We are happy to help.